Rennovating a Kitchen or Bathroom on a Budget
Low-Cost House Renovation Ideas
If you still don’t have any ideas on how to approach your home renovation, or if you feel constrained with your current finances, here are some affordable home renovation ideas to get you started.
Remodelling your bathrooms
A crucial room that can make or break a home sale is the bathroom. Not having enough bathrooms or lacking bathroom features can be deal-breakers for many homebuyers. No worries! Here are some remodelling ideas.
- Add a frame to your mirror. Over time, your bathroom mirror will show some wear, especially around the edges. Conceal the flaking and at the same time improve its look by adding a frame.
- Update your bathroom fixtures. Having old and worn-out bathroom fixtures can make your entire bathroom look outdated. These small details pop out and will add to your bathroom’s general aesthetic. If you plan on replacing them, avoid installing metallic chrome. The overused style will make your bathroom look out of date.
- Repaint your bathroom walls. If you plan on selling, stick to neutral colours that will appeal to a wide range of homebuyers. But if you want to be exciting, coordinate your choice of paint colour with your bathroom tiles.
- Install open shelves. If you have a small bathroom, you can make it look spacious by transforming your cabinets into open shelves. In this way, your soaps, towels, and other bathroom essentials can add to the aesthetic of the room.
Renovating your kitchen
Many homeowners think that kitchen remodels cost a fortune. However, several projects will prove that a big budget is not necessary to dramatically improve your kitchen. Check out these affordable kitchen upgrade ideas that give more bang for the buck:
- Add a new splash of paint. Repainting is one of the most affordable investments that you can do to provide a noticeable improvement to your home. Not to mention that it is such a simple task that you may not even need to hire a professional to do it for you. But remember: patience, preparation, and the right application technique is what guarantees a uniform finish. If you want to repaint your kitchen with the idea of selling your home in the future, choose neutral colours. Otherwise, choose the colour that appeals to you the most for personal enjoyment.
- Conceal outdated cabinets with new doors. Refacing your cabinets is usually more expensive than simply repainting them. However, it is drastically cheaper than installing new ones entirely. Just conceal their age by installing new doors.
- Improve your kitchen layout. Sometimes you don’t need to demolish walls to gain more space in your kitchen. For instance, adding a rack that is suspended in the ceiling to hang pots and pans can free up storage space. Not only does it let you put more stuff in your kitchen, but it is also appealing for future home buyers.
- Replace old lighting fixtures and improve lighting. Having better lighting is always a good idea for any type of room remodelling, but even more so for the kitchen. Adequate lighting is necessary when preparing ingredients so replace some of your old lighting fixtures with new ones. If possible, rearrange your overhead lighting to focus on areas where the cook will be working. Also, wireless lighting can simplify the renovation of your house and avoid any problems from occurring when drilling into old plasterwork.
- Upgrade the look of your backsplash. One of the most affordable ways to spruce up your kitchen is to upgrade your backsplash. Plus, there is no shortage of inexpensive design options that you can use—from decorative vinyl to peel-and-stick faux tiles. If you prefer mosaic, ceramic or any other type of tiles, you can try fitting them by yourself but for truly fantastic results, approach the expert tilers.